Websites all over the Internet are blacked out today, in protest against the proposed anti-piracy legislation making its way through the US Congress. I am not technically skilled, and while I would’ve gladly joined the protest, none of the passionate emails and postings urging folks to add their weight to the boycott actually gave instructions on how to black out your website.
But that doesn’t mean I can’t protest in my own little way. So I’m doing something that would get my site shut down, if the proponents of SOPA and PIPA have their way. It’s harmless, it’s fun, and it’s exactly the kind of free speech that these misguided bills would needlessly strangle.
THINGS YOU WON’T BE ALLOWED TO SAY ON THE INTERNET IF SOPA AND PIPA PASS
- “I really hate those stupid Mickey Mouse homework assignments.”
- “Say hello to my little friend…Pepe the chihuahua.”
- “Avengers, assemble by the third floor elevator for evacuation.”
- “I was birdwatching in the marsh, and I think I saw the first Captain Jack sparrow returning from Mexico.”
- “I see dead people…and they look good, thanks to the fine folks at Peterson Mortuary and Funeral Home!”
- “It’s a lovely bowl, but it was made by the most extraordinarily hairy potter you can imagine.”
- “Luke, I am your father, not some guy off the street who you can just ign…come back here!”
- “Th-th-th-that’s all folks! I mean it, you can’t stay here when the heat isn’t working.”
- “The cake is a lie. All those Weight Watchers desserts are actually made of tofu.”
- “Would you please just buzz Lightyear? I’ve been in this waiting room for 45 minutes!”
- “Honey, you can’t keep working and cleaning and running a Girl Scout troop and volunteering at church; you’re not Wonder Woman.”
- “The best way to get to the bridge is to go via Com…no, wait, that’s always backed up this time of day.”
- “Grab your stopwatch, we’re going to time Warner as he says his multiplication tables!”
- “I can’t believe how long you look in the mira, Max–you’a just some kid from Brooklyn.”
- “Dis knee is killing me, Doc. I vish my Enklish vas better zo I could tell you.”
There. That should do the trick.